Monday, November 30, 2009

My Village Part 2: My Parents

First, I hope everyone had a Happy Thanksgiving!
That whole day seemed like such a blur and I cannot believe it's over. We hosted it ,which I would NOT recommend doing on your baby's first, it's just too much, but thankfully we didn't cook much because we did it pot luck style. It was nice, just exhausting, even though we only had 10 people. We did have about 20 or so for dessert, which was fun.
All in all, it was beautiful to have all of my friends and family together.

Speaking of family, I thought this would be a good day to do a "Village Post" on my parents. Their 38th anniversary was on Friday, which is so wonderful to me. They have certainly been amazing role models for marriage. Theirs is truly a partnership and has seen a lot of ups and downs, but amazing all the same. Happy anniversary!

There are really not enough words in the world to explain my parents' role in my life and what they do for me, especially in regards to Lily. Yes, I am an only child, which means that they certainly do focus all of their attention on me, so I might be a little closer to my parents than some, but when it comes to Lily, they have been such a Godsend.

Since the day Lily was born, they have been a staple in her life. My mom watches her 3 days a week in the afternoons, while Dustin and I are working, in addition to her regular 35 hour a week nanny job. It is so much fun to watch my mom with Lily. I can't say that I've ever seen my mom more happy. Lily just lights up when she sees my mom and my dad for that matter. They are the TRUE meaning of grandparents.

In addition to being a part of Lily's day care plan, my mom also watches her every other chance she can get, which is so amazing to have! Dustin and I have been able to go on dates, which not every couple gets to do when they're new parents, I've been able to go to the gym...basically, any excuse my mom can get to watch her :)
My dad has even watched her alone a couple of times and does so well with her. Not that I ever doubted that he would, but she can be a handful sometimes and it has been 33 years since I was a baby. He has been able to get her to calm down when no one else could, such as after her 4 month shots or a teething spell.

They have also been such a source of moral support for Dustin and I as well. There have been days where I just felt at my wits end, but my parents are always standing right behind me to empower me and will also be that extra set of arms I need to hold a screaming Lily. That kind of support is so rare and so comforting.

You truly do appreciate and respect your parents more when you have your own child. You now have the deep understanding of just how challenging raising a child is and all the sacrifices that go along with parenting.

Thanks, mom and dad, for loving Lily like you do and being such amazing grandparents. I know she knows already how lucky she is to have you.



Now, stop crying mom and come over so we can take Lily shopping.

1 comment:

Nicolasa said...

What a sweet post! :-)