Wednesday, November 18, 2009

It's been a half of a year.

Dear Lily,

Six months ago, I had only been a mom for 3 days. I don't even think it really hit me that I was a mom, responsible for you and your well being. It all seemed so surreal...sometimes it still does. At that time, the majority of your activities included sleeping and eating. Of course you were just an amazing little being, but I couldn't help but wonder what you would be like when you started becoming active and started exploring your world.

Now, as I sit here watching you play in your exersaucer, so busy and curious, I can't believe how much has changed for you since you came into our lives. It's just amazing what a half of a year will do and how fast it goes. I want to stop time for a bit so I can memorize every single little thing you're doing, what your little personality is like and what you look like. Pictures and videos just don't do you justice. I'm hoping these letters will help me remember, especially when you're a teenager and giving us a hard time :)

Your already 17lbs 2oz and 27" long ,which puts you in the 82nd percentile for height! You're going to have long legs like your mom. Your hair is still so red, including your eyebrows and eyelashes. We're still amazed by that! You don't look anything like me...but that's ok. You are a little clone of your dad, which is beautiful.

You are so active these days, I can't imagine what you're going to be like when you're walking!
  • You love practicing your leg strength with your exersaucer and jump-a-roo toys.
  • You take things out of our hands all of the time (which Dr. Mesghali says is a nine month milestone. I knew you were advanced:).
  • You sit up unassisted for a few minutes at a time.
  • You're trying desperately to crawl and although you aren't quite there yet, you can scoot yourself across the room with your leg strength.

Other fun things you're up to:
  • You're eating fruits and veggies. You love pears, sweet potatoes, carrots, and bananas.
  • You have two teeth that sprouted about 3 weeks ago, and more on the way. Teething has been a challenge for you on some days so you love to chew on everything that's in front of you.
  • You are intrigued with technology. Cell phones, computers, remotes, cameras...all very interesting to you.
  • You're learning how to drink out of a sippy cup.
  • You're napping a little bit better these days but it's still very inconsistent. You're just too busy! You just started napping in your crib this week, as opposed to always in the corner of the couch.
  • You do still sleep through the night from about 7:30pm-5am and then back to sleep for an hour or so after you eat.
  • You giggle when we make kissing noises or raspberries at you.
  • Speaking of raspberries, you love to imitate them.
  • You reach out for Bear whenever he is near you.

I cannot believe how absolutely perfect you are. Your dad and I could not be more proud. Even when you're fussing, because of your poor little mouth being sore, I just watch you, trying to capture the way you look at me, and never wish even those stressful moments away. This time just goes by too quickly. I know I'm going to blink my eyes and you'll be getting ready for your first day of school. I'm trying to be as "in the moment" as possible right now, while I can still hold you and smell the baby on you.

With your first Thanksgiving just nine days away, I realize just how much I have to be thankful for. I don't know how I lived without your smile, your laugh, your big blue/green eyes, staring at me, your reach, your chubby little thighs...you have been such a blessing. You are my biggest accomplishment and the center of my universe.

Don't grow up too fast little girl. I know you'll grow into the most amazing toddler, kid, young adult, teen and then woman, but just don't get there too fast.

Happy six months. Thank you for teaching me how to be a mom.
Love,
Mommy


3 comments:

Jessica said...

I lub her. She looks so much like D these days.

Christy said...

Awww. You write beautifully and say things from the heart. Love that! You make me cry with all your blog posts to Lily & Bear. :-)

NicanDrew said...

I LOVE HER!!!! <3 She's the most beautiful girl I know!!!