Friday, December 26, 2008

The last week of 2008...

I cannot believe that Christmas has come and gone already. I have to admit that I'm actually excited for the holidays to be over this year. I love them and all but they're a lot of work and I'm just really excited to be closer to Lily's arrival (yes, that is still her name and yes, we decided to go with the traditional spelling).

Today begins the beginning of my 19th week of pregnancy. I'm almost half way there, which is so amazing and time seems to be going so fast. By the way, if anyone is doing the math, pregnancy is 40 weeks, which means 10 months, not 9. I don't know whoever said that pregnancy is 9 months and why we were misled for so long. It's 10. Stop the lying.

I'm feeling good. I get tired easily but other than that, nothing to complain about, for once! I am really liking this part of pregnancy and quickly forgetting about how miserable I was in the first trimester. My friends told me I would start to feel this way but I did not believe them until now.

I can feel her moving more and more everyday. The best way to explain it is that it feels like muscle twitches in my lower abdomen. I have only felt it on the outside a few times, which is so weird and great at the same time. My friend Tiffany was the first to feel her kick on Christmas night. Dustin hasn't even felt it yet!
Not a huge change from a week ago, size wise but I'm definitely showing now:



Our Christmas was very nice. Dustin and I did Christmas Eve dinner here for 14 of us. I was exhausted and I've decided that my mother made entertaining look way too easy throughout my life. I really don't enjoy being the hostess but it was still nice and Dustin did a lot of the cooking (surprise, surprise), which was great.
Christmas day we went over to the in-laws for lunch, opened gifts and then went to my parents for dinner, just the four of us and then went over to our friends house for dessert . It was all nice and quiet and relaxing.

As always, everyone was so generous, especially my husband. He is amazing. He painted me this picture for my office of one of our wedding photographs, where we're standing on Manuel Antonio beach in between two giant palms. He won't let me take a picture of the painting because it isn't done yet but it's gorgeous. Here is the photo he painted it from:



Here are some of my other favorite gifts:


Dustin had this made for me. It's a sapphire, which represents me, and two emeralds, one for him and one for Lily. Let's hope she doesn't stay in until June!


An Eco watch, also from Dustin.




My mom and dad made this memory box for me. They filled it will all of my childhood things, from birth until college. It was one of the coolest gifts I've ever received. There are old report cards, letters I wrote, craft projects I made, my baby book...just an overall great idea. My dad is working on a home video to go along with it.

It was a great Christmas, for sure. I booked another trip to Costa Rica for September, which was Dustin's big gift from me. He was so excited, he cried.

That's about it for this week. Bring it on 2009.

6 comments:

Jessica said...

Have I mentioned lately how badly I want to touch your belly?

Vanessa said...

You can touch my belly Jess! Anytime. It's very weird. Dustin touched it today and asked me if it hurt because it's so tight. Boys.

Anonymous said...

You are too cute.

Also, in order for pregancy to be 10 months, one month would have to be exactly 4 weeks long, when they are actually 4.3-ish.

I thought it was 39 weeks, but still even with that math...

40 (weeks) x 7 (days a week) = 280 days of pregnancy.

There are roughly 30 days in a month so 280/30 = 9.3 months.

Can you tell I am bored and sitting in an airport? I can imagine the funny or strange things I will think about while pregnant. I will give you TONS of ammo :)

PS: The word verification for this comment was "oorgi". Hehehe. I am a 13 year old boy.

Vanessa said...

Mo, I will have to include that math in my next post. You are so very smart. I was counting weeks, so obviously, you are correct about the 9.3 months!
You never cease to amaze me =)

I love that you had to type "oorgi". Google is dirty.

Natalie said...

Random thought on the math point: how can you be pregnant for 40 weeks when the first 2 weeks of the cycle are counted? When you are not actually pregnant yet? I like to think of it as 9.5 mos as it's easier for my crippled brain. I'll admit I was surprised, for some reason when I realized it was not supposed to be 9 mos.

Your belly looks mango-licious.

Vanessa said...

Nat, they do count the first two weeks, even though you aren't technically pregnant. They go off of the first day of your last period and it's 40 weeks from that day. Weird, for sure.