Monday, February 28, 2011

Well hello, neglected blog.

It's been a crazy couple of weeks, most of which I will blog about later, but for now....

We lost a very wonderful family member, my (great) Uncle Roy. He had been battling with cancer for almost 10 years and it was his time. My father put it best when he said that he is happy for him. He truly was suffering and it was no way to live.

Uncle Roy will always be remembered in my mind as humorous, clumsy, caring, generous man with a knack for telling stories. He loved the Cubs and his comfy chair. His house smelled of tobacco (the sweet, unlit smell), even though he gave up smoking his pipe years ago.  He paled around with my dad often and he loved to show up unannounced. He had a special bond with Bear and loved to feed him table food. He was so loyal and attended every event in my life. He was a proud dad of three, always bragging about his children and grand children. He was a fantastic uncle.

So, Uncle Roy, party with the angels and be pain free...
Christmas 2004 with my Aunt Dorothy.
Christmas 2010.

I was in San Diego when I got this sad news. I got home in time to see each of his kids, my cousins, as they came down to assist my aunt with the necessary process. He wished for no memorial or service so we were left to do our own reminiscing. 

The loss of my uncle was sad, yes, but I know it was his time. His body was tired and with good reason. 
Why it is most sad to me is because it is once again reminding me how incredibly small my family is. Our holiday and birthday meals are getting smaller and smaller, setting fewer and fewer places at meals. That makes me so sad....but also a little scared. I begin to think about my own mortality and of course, my parent's. Still spring chickens, in their late 50's/early 60's, it's just so hard to think of them as "old". Them, or anyone in my family, really.
I'm telling you, a pause button in life would be nice sometimes. 

Rest in peace, Uncle Roy.

2 comments:

Ali said...

Oh man, this pains me because his story is so similar to my Nanas. Although she only suffered for 5 short months, she went from looking healthy (like the top picture) to a skeleton (like the bottom one). I'm so sorry for your loss, you're in my prayers.

Christy said...

I'm so sorry for your family's loss. He sounds like he was a wonderful man.
Even at 31 I think about my mortality and even more so the mortality of my husband, my parents & my "kids". I hate thinking about it, but it's life and one day life ends. I too wish life had a pause button. I guess we need to live life to the fullest & enjoy every moment and enjoy the time with the people we love.

(((hugs)))