Monday, August 2, 2010

Moving on...

I have never really had emotional ties to any house that I have lived in. Our new house will be my 10th home in 12 years. Being that we have lived here for over 6 years should tell you how much of a gypsy I can be. I've never had a problem just up and moving (as long as its near my family). Come to think of it, I treat my cars this way and I used to do this with my jobs as well. Possibly some sort of fear of commitment? Boredom? Who knows. Lucky for Dustin, I'm loyal to my relationships.

I digress.

Here I sit, the night before the last night in this house and I'm feeling nostalgic and a bit emotional. Only two more nights of memories here. It's bittersweet.

It has been six years and two months living here and as I type that it seems impossible because it has gone by so, so fast. Yet, June of 2004 seems like a lifetime ago. This house has seen us through so much and to say that I will miss it would be much too simplistic.

This house...
  • Took me in during a mini nervous breakdown.
  • Taught me how to remodel. Taught Dustin how to remodel. Both with the help of my dad.
  • Saw me through a lawsuit and an overall shitty 2004.
  • Saw Dustin through his college days.
  • Saw me through Luna's, substitute teaching, Passion For Paws Pet Sitting, Herizon MRI, Citrus, Breg, and now Citrus again.
  • Grew a 3rd bedroom, a covered patio, a shed and a paver deck.
  • Had no lawn for several years in the backyard.
  • Harbored Bear in the backyard for many, many hours while he soaked in the fresh air.
  • Saw many, many holidays.
  • Kept many arguments inside these walls.
  • Vibrated laughter on too many occasions to count.
  • Sheltered quite a few guests.
  • Shared the street number of my grandma Mary's house when she was alive. Thank you gram for helping me with this place.
  • Saw many, many plants and cultivated my husband's love for foliage.
  • Had a hole cut in it for a beautiful reef tank.
  • Saw Dustin and I through dating, engagement, and our first 2 years of marriage.
  • Held many dinner parties.
  • Held many parties, period. 
  • Held one colossal baby shower.
  • Saw more paint in each of the rooms than any house I've ever seen.
  • Sheltered many boxer dogs while they were in foster care.
  • Kept me comfortable...well...tried to keep me comfortable...during 9 months of misery, er, pregnancy.
Most importantly....this house is Lily's first home. We brought her here and she filled this house with love, laughter, joy, tears, happiness, frustration, sleeplessness, cooing, giggling, talking, crawling, walking, wonderment and so much more. She made this house our home and safe haven.

So, my little Venice East house. You will be missed. Please provide as many memories for our tenants. and any other future inhabitants, as you did for us. You were good to us and so comfortable. Thank you for seeing us through such an amazing time in our lives.

Tuesday, we begin to build new memories at our new house, which is so exciting. This house will bring tea parties, first days of school, growing tall, growing more teeth, growing more curls, losing teeth, more holidays, new neighbors, a beautiful community (with a pool!), and so much more.

4 comments:

Ali said...

I LOVE all of your memories. So sweet. Just remember that your memories can be kept forever & that a new place will give you the chance for lots of new memories!!

melissa said...

Great post! I can't wait to see the new house, and I'm sure so many more memories have yet to be made there! :)

james and michele said...

happy new house!

i was surprised at how hard it was to leave our home (of only 2 years) but it was so difficult to leave eliza's nursery. all the newborn memories came flooding back. i'm still struggling with that.

looking forward to hearing about all the memories in your new home!

love.

p.s. i can't believe you left the tank. :)

Mom of Twins! said...

That made me cry and I just loved it. It made me think of all you have been through and how you have overcome so much and have had so much success with your hard work, motivation and love!!! I need to see Lily!! SOON!!!! What are you doing Saturday?