Wednesday, August 12, 2009

A New Way to Vacation: A Picture Story

That's the best way to describe traveling with an infant. It's a new experience. SOO much fun, yet a lot of work. I'll do a picture story, for your entertainment.

I mentioned a couple of posts ago that we were headed to St. Augustine for our anniversary. The three of us packed the car....literally, PACKED the car...


We made it about 2 hours before Lily was ready to stop. Our goal was to make it to Orlando, which is about 3 hours away, but Lakeland was as far as we got. Not too bad though, considering Lily has never been on a car ride longer than 25 minutes! We were able to make it the rest of the 2.5 hours after that, all the way to St. Augustine. She did so good on the trip.

We checked into our "condo". I'm not going to lie, it was a piece of shit place...but, THIS is what we paid for...


...the view. It was beautiful. We were on Crescent Beach, which is about 20 minutes south of downtown St. Augustine. Beautiful white sand. Very different from Venice beaches, beautiful in different ways.

So, Lily was being so good. We decided to take her, and all of her tons of stuff, down to the beach. Yes, I realize she is young for this adventure, but we were prepared. We bought her an "infant cabana", that happens to be UV protected. (Who would have thought they have this stuff?? Leave it to me and my internet skills and I'll find it!) We also had an umbrella over the cabana and I put Water Babies sunscreen on her AND a UV protected hat...which actually fell right off, but the intention was there.



I have to interject a sub-story here about unsolicited baby raising opinions.
As we were walking down to the beach, there was a young girl walking behind us with two guys. They were about early 20s-ish. They all had beers in there hands and clearly no responsibilities at all. Dustin and I were struggling a little, carrying all this shit, plus Lily was screaming at that moment.
We were just trying to make it down to the beach and get her out of the direct sun. All of the sudden, I hear this bitch pipe up and say, "If I were that baby, I'd be screaming too. What a bunch of morons bringing a baby out on the beach. F-ing idiots!". She rambled in for a bit but I couldn't hear her anymore because they trailed behind.
I don't know why but this REALLY bothered me, as in, I was ready to go back and punch that girl. Those of you who know me, KNOW that I am not a violent person but I swear she struck a cord that I didn't know I had. My animal instinct came out in me and I immediately had the motivation to defend myself and the mom that I am to Lily.
Ugh, I was pissed. I'm still trying to get over comments like these. It isn't easy for me.

Anyway, Lily napped and stayed cool in her cabana. We stayed for about 45 minutes and then she got in the pool for a minute. She loved it. It was so fun to watch her experience all of this for the first time.

Then, she got a bath and relaxed with us...


Later that evening, we went to the lighthouse (which I have a fascination of)...


The one thing Lily didn't want to do on vacation was sleep in. She woke up at 4:50am the first morning, after going to sleep at 10pm. Ugh. This made a tired mommy...


but a beautiful sunrise...


To be continued. Hungry baby.


3 comments:

Karen said...

Karma will come back and bite that beach bitch in the ass. She will have twins and have to carry twice as much stuff..only she'll have to do it alone.

you guys are all so cute!

Mom of Twins! said...

Wow! that is alot of stuff to take on a trip!!! We went to the beach today ( with the twins) and it was so much work!!!!! But worth it so I know how you feel carrying all the crap but doing it all over again!!!
She looks so cute in that beach photo!!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I don't know if I would have had enough control not to say, "Why don't you STFU and mind your own business, bitch?" I actually said that once to some girl who butted into a conversation I was having with my sister in a ladies room (from inside the stall, WTF?). I don't take kindly to bitchiness I guess! But I love these pics! Glad you all had a nice time.