Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Dear Lily,

Today, May 27th, was supposed to be your due date so I thought this would be a good day to write to you about your arrival. You graced us with your presence 12 days early, which will forever be the best day of my life. I won't recount the whole experience because when you read this when you're older, I don't want to bore you but hopefully you'll appreciate learning some about what we went through together...

Your daddy and I went to the doctor for my weekly appointment. I was 38 weeks, 2 days into pregnancy. After some routine exams, the doctor thought it would be best that we went to the hospital to evaluate whether or not it was time for you to make your debut. Sure enough, it was time.

During laboring, your daddy, grandma, grandpa and even auntie Tiffany watched a lot of T.V. Oddly enough, every show we watched had to do with pregnancy or babies: Friends, King of Queens, I Love Lucy, The Cosby Show and even Jimmy Fallon's talk show! It all seemed to fit the mood. We joked about a lot of things and your nurses were all wonderful.

At some point, the T.V. went off and daddy's iPod was turned on, packed with all of mommy's favorite music, mostly from our wedding day. The room was dimly lit and comforting. I wasn't scared or nervous, just excited and anxious to meet you.

Your daddy, your grandma, your nurse Leslie and Dr. Cohen were the only ones in the room when it was almost time. So much at this point is a blur for me but I remember the music playing, a Bob Marley song to be specific, and I remember the look on your daddy's face when Dr. Cohen said it was time. It was full of emotion, but none that compared to when you were placed on my chest, when you were introduced into this big world. The happiness and joy I felt to see you and look at your big, wondering eyes and then looking at your daddy to confirm what we created...nothing will ever compare to that moment.

At 7lbs 2oz, 20.5 inches long, you were just perfect. You didn't scream or even cry when you arrived. You were content and just checking everything out in your new world. I must have asked the nurses 20 times if you were ok. From the instant you were born, that was all I cared about and probably always will. You were "perfect" according to everyone in that room. Most agree that you have most of your daddy's facial features and my body type. Your hair is the prettiest shade of strawberry blond and your eyes are blue for now. So perfect.

For the next three days, we started to get to know you in the hospital. From the very beginning, you were a good baby. You didn't fuss much and you slept like a rock. The nurses were impressed by you and adored your beauty. Daddy did most of the work while we were there because mommy wasn't feeling well, which seemed like the best bonding experience for you two. He was so in love with you from the very first moment he laid eyes on you Lily. He is truly the best dad.

You settled into being home very nicely. Daddy and I still cannot get over how much you love your sleep! You have been so gracious to let us get some rest.
You have had many, many visitors and admirers. People brought flowers, food, gifts and love. You are truly a blessed little girl with all the family and support that surrounds you.

As I sit here now and watch you nap in your swing, which has quickly become your favorite place other than someone's arms, I am amazed by you. You are already getting so big. You are so alert and love to listen to all kinds of different sounds. You focus on voices, especially those that you know best. You make the cutest, funniest faces that I have ever seen. I cannot stop kissing and smelling your head. You are already daddy's girl in every sense of the word. Your big "brother", Bear, is also in awe of you and has taken a protective role. He watches over you carefully and always will for the rest of his life.

You are the greatest gift I have ever received. You have given me a whole new meaning to life and a new respect to all mothers, especially your grandma. I have now experienced a new level of worry and love. Nothing compares to the feeling of being a new mom, nothing. As overwhelming and intimidating as this all is right now, it all makes sense and fulfills me.

Although I do miss you rolling around in my belly and having you all to myself, I am so excited to watch you grow and learn. As you go into your second week of life, know that we have so much love for you. We're ready to embark on your life journey with you and be the best parents we can possible be.
We love you Miss Lily Ocean!

Love,
Your Mommy and Daddy

6 comments:

Christy said...

How beautiful. It made me tear up. I can sense the love that radiates through your family. :)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, V.

You hoars and your babies are going to turn me into a blabbering mess of tears and snot by the end of 2009.

CMC said...

I am in tears, V. This is such a beautiful way to write about your experience, I know Lily will love this when she is older.

Love.

Jessica said...

So sweet, V. Lily is such a lucky girl!

Nicolasa said...

Beautifully written! What a great thing to have for her later on in life.

Anonymous said...

OMG. This melted my heart. Lily is lucky to you have you and Dustin and parents, and well, you're both lucky to have Lily, too!