Friday, September 11, 2009

Costa Rica: Chapter 4

We just got back from our forth trip to Costa Rica on Tuesday night. Another amazing trip.

Before I get into the trip itself...no, we didn't bring Lily with us and yes, my parents stayed here with her and Bear. It's funny how people react when I tell them Lily stayed home. I guess it makes me a little weird that I think it's a healthy thing to do, spending time alone with your spouse after having a child. After all, it was just the two of us for many years. Reconnecting is important and I will always put us first. If we're strong as a couple, we'll be stronger as parents. I truly believe that. I did buy this trip back in December, when I was 5 months pregnant and in retrospect, it was good foresight on my part that we would need the break. Being that Dustin and I work opposite schedules, we don't have a lot of time to connect at all so the 6 nights away were good for us. I think we'll be doing this once a year, even just a long weekend.

The funny thing is that although I believe all of that and feel strongly about it, I still feel guilty for leaving Lily. I know she was in perfect hands and at this age, she doesn't even know the difference but I still had a nagging guilty feeling. We missed her so much, it hurt a little. We were able to Skype with her every night (thank God for technology), which was great, and she was so happy with grandma and grandpa. I really need to get over the guilt!

Anyway, the trip....
We had a blast, as usual. This was the first time we stayed in one location, Playa Hermosa just outside of Jaco, and just relaxed. No tours, no wedding, no hiking, just relaxation. Of course, Dustin surfed for about 7 hours a day but that IS his relaxation.








We met a lot of very cool people this trip, mostly from California, as it turned out. Actually, all of the tourists we talked to this time around were from California or Florida, which makes sense because we were in a surfing destination. We met a lot of young families that either own a place down there, already live there or are moving there. Which really got us thinking....
Two things I've wanted to do, for about the past 3 years or so, are 1.) start an event planning business and 2.) move to Costa Rica. The event planning idea has stemmed for my love of organization and planning things in general. The Costa Rica idea is quite obvious. We fell in love with the country from the minute we laid eyes on it. I mention these two things together because I'm trying to find a way to intertwine the two. It would be a big undertaking and we have a lot to think about.

Let's just say this book isn't finished yet.

2 comments:

Nicolasa said...

I am so happy that you had this trip so you and D could spend some QT together! I am also jealous that you were just in a beautiful place! ;-) It would be amazing if you two figured out a way to make it work and moved to CR!

Christy said...

What a wonderful trip! And I too believe reconnecting with your spouse is very important and putting your spouse first is always the best for you two and your children. Love that!
Glad you two were able to get away for awhile. :)