Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Life With Lily, So Far

Wow. Life with a newborn is crazy! Please remember that I never sugar coated pregnancy, so I do not intend on sugar coating motherhood. This blog is an outlet for me so I will let it out!

It is certainly true that no matter how much reading you do, or how many friends you talk to that have had kids, nothing prepares you for having a child. It's amazing, worrisome, stressful, fun, tiring, eventful....I honestly cannot come up with enough adjectives to describe it!

The statement, "I was a good mom before I had kids" (which I actually think is a book), is so true. I remember thinking, when some of my close friends had their kids, "why don't they have time to call me back", or "why do they always rush me on the phone"? I would think, "they certainly have time during naps or driving!"....not so much. It is all so consuming to have a newborn. Yes, it is true that the majority of her activities are eating, sleeping and shitting but make no mistake about it, all of those things require some amount of work by a parent. Allow me to elaborate...

Eating- right now, takes almost an hour from start to finish. Make a bottle, get situated in a comfy spot with a bib and burp cloth, feed, burp, feed, burp, feed, burp, keep her upright for at least 20 minutes to avoid spitting up or gas, change diaper because she definitely pooped, and then interact for a few minutes while she is still awake. She eats 8-9 times in a 24 hour period. Then, throw in bottle washing. We have 8 bottles, which each have 6 parts. Of course, I am anal about washing everything through and through, to the point where my fingers are pruned.

Sleeping- The first two weeks were a breeze. She ate and then fell asleep and noises were not an issue. Now, going into the third week, getting her to sleep and keeping her asleep is becoming more of a challenge. Keeping Bear quiet is key right now. Once she is asleep, checking on her incessantly ensues. This is when I try to get things done around the house, once she is dead asleep, which I have to do at lightening speed or just know that I will not finish a task. Thankfully, she sleeps REALLY good at night, just waking once to eat.

Pooping- Oh.my.God. the pooping. Lily is formula fed and everyone said that reduces the amount of pooping, compared to breast feeding. Not in Lily's case. No way. She poops every time she eats and then sometimes in between. My doctor insists this is normal but for the love of God, I need to take stock in Pampers and Oust room spray.

Although that all sounds like I'm complaining, I'm definitely not. It's amazing and so much fun, well, aside from the poop. I am starting to understand why people say that being a parent is the hardest job but the one you love the most. It is SO hard but I love it all. I love when she is awake during the day, making eye contact with me and checking out her surroundings. It's so much fun to watch her responses to different things. The feelings she evokes are unexplainable. I just love her so much.

Oh, and by the way, the "baby blues" is a very real thing and to all of you moms -to-be, just know it is VERY normal to cry and get emotional. Yes, it hit me, about a week into having Lily. I cry when I don't know what to do for her or if I'm worried about her. Yes, I get frustrated and yes, sometimes I feel overwhelmed. I just try to keep it all in check and take some time for myself, like going for a walk or to the store. This is when it is so important to have a great partner and support. It's essential. I have it. I'm so lucky.

Here is a few things I've learned about her so far:

  • She loves to walk around outside and listen to the birds.
  • The warm weather instantly relaxes her.
  • She loves to lay on my chest after she eats.
  • She hates having her diaper changed.
  • She likes her pacifier, but is really picky about when she wants it.
  • She makes HILARIOUS faces when she doesn't want anymore food, as though it is toxic poison.
  • She is not a big fan of sponge baths but likes her hair washed when her body is bundled up in a towel.
  • She farts like a man.
  • She burps like a man.
  • She loves movement, like riding in a car or a stroller.
More to come. For now, here is a picture from after her bath today, laying on her daddy...

4 comments:

Christy said...

Awww. Just perfect.
That was exhausting just reading that. hehe

Melaina25 said...

She is absolutely adorable even if she is a poop machine :)

Nicolasa said...

Ditto Christy! I know you're doing a great job! I can't wait to meet her!

Anonymous said...

This is awesome to read, Vanessa - I like how you keep it real! Truth be told, it scares the living hell out of me, but I do feel like hey, Vanessa is doing it, I can do it too!